This Steakhouse Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe has been in my salad dressing arsenal for years. After many years of making this blue cheese dressing, I have finally perfected the homemade version. It's a quick and easy dressing to make that will remind you of the blue cheese dressing you had on a wedge salad at a nice steakhouse.
What goes well with Blue Cheese Dressing?
This dressing is the perfect dipping sauce for chicken wings, chicken tenders, potato skins, and vegetable platters. This is a fantastic dressing for wedge, spinach, and Cobb salads.
Flavors in this dressing
This homemade Blue Cheese Dressing is:
Full of blue cheese flavor
Tips + Tricks to make the best Blue Cheese Dressing
Flavor Tip # 1 - Hide the mayo flavor
Use a good quality mayo and sour cream for this dressing. A lot of the subtle flavors come from the base of the dressing (mayo + sour cream). If you use an off brand of mayo with strong flavor, it will come through in the final product. I like Best Foods for it's mild flavor.
Flavor Tip #2 - Showcase the tang and garlic factor
Mix the chopped garlic with the distilled vinegar and marinate for 5 - 10 minutes (longer the better). When you add this mixture to the base (mayo + sour cream) the garlic flavor evenly distributes throughout. The result: a more flavorful and tangy dressing.
Flavor Tip # 3 - Smash the Blue Cheese
When you add the blue cheese to the base and liquid mixture, use a fork to break down the blue cheese chunks. This will help to thicken the dressing and spread the blue cheese flavor throughout.
Flavor Tip # 4 - Adjust seasoning as needed
The great thing about making your own dressings from scratch is you can adjust the recipe to your taste! Add more salt, pepper, garlic or blue cheese for more flavor. You can also add more milk to thin the dressing to your desired consistency.
Ingredients you'll need:
- Mayonnaise - Good quality like Best Foods
- Sour Cream
- Distilled White Vinegar - This will add tang to taste like a restaurant blue cheese dressing. Using white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar will add more sweetness to this recipe. I don't recommend it but, you do you!
- Fresh Garlic - Minced garlic adds flavor throughout the dressing. Be sure to bloom the garlic in the distilled vinegar before adding it to the dressing to create the best flavor.
- Milk or Beer - We would add beer to this dressing instead of milk at my pizza parlor. It's delicious. If you're into beer and enjoy the flavor, do it! I like to use IPA.
- Salt and Pepper
- Good quality blue cheese, gorgonzola cheese or stilton cheese.
How to make Steakhouse Blue Cheese Dressing:
Add all ingredients except blue cheese to a medium bowl.
Whisk well to combine.
Add the blue cheese.
Smash half the blue cheese into the base, leave the rest of the blue cheese chunky. Mix well.
How long does Blue Cheese Dressing last?
This blue cheese dressing will last up to 7 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
Freezing is not recommended.
More Salad Dressing Recipes you may enjoy:
Steakhouse Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I like Best Foods)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup blue cheese or gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a small bowl combine chopped fresh garlic and distilled white vinegar. Let sit for 5 -10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Next, mix in chopped garlic & distilled vinegar mixture and milk. Using a whisk, mix well until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add the blue cheese crumbles and smash into the mayo mixture using a fork or a whisk. Mash up about half of the blue cheese crumbles and leave the rest whole for a chunky blue cheese dressing.
- Make sure the blue cheese is well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Please note - the flavors will continue to develop overnight.
- Store in a covered container. Serve as a dressing with your favorite salads or as a tangy and cheesy dip. Will last 7 days in the refrigerator.