If you're looking for a quick-cooking side for steaks and braised meats, this Creamy Polenta Recipe is for you. With only 3 ingredients and 10 minutes to cook, you can have this side dish the the table--pronto!
Perfect for weeknight meals or even romantic homemade Italian-inspired dinners this polenta is creamy, cheesy and ever-so easy to make.
What is Polenta?
Polenta is a dried coarsely ground corn, originating from Northern Italy. When cooked, it is soft and creamy and makes the perfect bed for stewed meats and sauces.
The ingredients you need
Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Tip + Tricks
Grind the dried polenta:
Grind the dried polenta to a fine meal in a food processor or high speed blender. Then, add to the boiling chicken stock. This step makes the polenta extra creamy. This is optional but I highly recommend it! It also shaves down the cooking time. Double plus.
Make it even more creamy:
Make this polenta extra creamy by substituting 1 cup of the stock with 1 cup of milk.
Stir Constantly while cooking:
Once you add the polenta to the boiling stock, by sure to whisk and stir constantly to prevent lumps and burning the polenta on the bottom of the pan.
What to serve with Creamy Polenta
Recipes you can make with the leftovers:
📖 Recipe Card
Cheesy, Creamy Polenta in 10 Minutes
Click the stars to rate.
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock or broth or vegetable stock or broth
- 1 Cup Dried Polenta
- 8 Oz Jack Cheese cubed
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add the dried polenta and ground to a fine meal. Set aside. Cut the jack cheese into ½ inch cubes.
- In an 8 quart saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Slowly whisk in the ground polenta. Continue whisking, the polenta will start to thicken almost immediately. As the polenta thickens (will only take 1-2 minutes), turn the stove down to medium-low.
- Using a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula, stir in the jack cheese. Continue stirring until the jack cheese has completely melted. (2-3 minutes)
- Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
To make Shaped Polenta (For fried polenta and polenta fries)
- Pour the creamy polenta in a 8x10 baking dish while still warm. Allow to cool, then cover and place in the refrigerator 4 hours - overnight.