If you want to create a restaurant-style dessert to serve this holiday season, this Apple Crumble with Vanilla Bean and Thyme will hit the spot. Sweet apples mixed with warm baking spices and fresh thyme create a unique and delicious flavor combination that will wow your friends and family.
This Apple Crumble is:
And has a hint of black pepper spice....
What you need to make this Apple Crumble
Apples: I used Honeycrisp, but Braeburn or Pink Lady will work great!
Sugar: brown and white
Lemon Juice: Fresh squeezed. Use Meyer Lemons for the best flavor if you can find them.
Flour: all- All purpose
Vanilla Bean Powder - my new obsession! If you love vanilla bean but don't want to fuss with the pods, check out vanilla bean powder. You can buy it here.
Fresh Thyme -(optional) adds an unexpected herbal twist to this apple crumble.
Cinnamon - Ground
Black Pepper - cracked, adds a subtle spice to the sweet crumble.
Prepare this dessert in advance, but wait until you start dinner to start the cooking process. You'll have a warm Apple Crumble for dessert!
Serve with whipped cream.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or a caramel ice cream. Yum.
You can make and cook this Apple Crumble up to two days in advance. Leave the crumbles out at room temperature, covered.
Reheating the Apple Crumble:
Serve at room temperature or reheat in the oven at 325 F (160 C) uncovered for 10 minutes. If the tops start to brown while reheating, cover them with some parchment paper or aluminum foil to prevent burning.
A Few More Holiday Recipes:
I hope you are enjoying the Holiday Season! I'm beyond grateful for you and hope to see you at the next post!
Apple Crumble with Vanilla Bean + Thyme
For the Filling
- 4 Small - Medium Apples
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Bean Powder see notes (or a vanilla bean, scraped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Chopped
- ¼ teaspoon teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Black Pepper Fews turns, fresh cracked
For the Crumble
- ½ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar Light
- ¼ Cup Butter ½ Stick (room temperature) Vegan Butter, if making vegan
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F
To Make the Filling
- Wash, peel and thinly slice apples, add to a medium bowl. Add sugar, lemon juice, vanilla bean powder, cinnamon, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix to gently but make sure all of the seasonings coat all of the apple slices. Set aside for 10 minutes.4 - Apples3 tablespoon - Sugar3 tablespoon - Lemon Juice1 tablespoon - Vanilla Bean Powder1 tablespoon - Fresh Thyme¼ teaspoon - Cinnamon½ teaspoon - SaltCrack of Black Pepper
To Make the Crumble
- To a small bowl add: Flour, brown sugar, walnuts, butter, cinnamon and salt. Using clean hands, or a fork, slowly incorporate the butter into all of the ingredients until a sandy-like texture forms. Set aside.½ Cup Flour½ Cup Chopped Walnuts⅓ Cup Brown Sugar¼ Cup Butter ½ Stick (room temperature)¼ Tsp Cinnamon¼ tsp Salt
Assemble the Apple Crumbles
- Using ramekins or small (low mason jars), pack 1 cup of the apple filling into each ramekin. Be sure to pile it high, the apples will shrink as they cook.
- Top with ¼ cup of the crumble filling, be sure to pack it on tight so it doesn't fall off in the oven.
- Sprinkle with a little black pepper and bake in the oven, on a sheet tray, for 30 minutes on the center rack.
- Remove from oven once bubbling and golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then top with some fresh thyme.
- Serve with love and enjoy! 🙂
Have any questions or recipe requests? Let me know! I would love to hear from you!https://www.pinterest.com/thevirtualcaterer/
This post may include affiliate links. If you were to buy something from one of those links, I may earn a little commission.