How does a cool and refreshing salad sound? This Cucumber Orange Salad is inspired by Sunomono, a Japanese cucumber salad often served with sushi. Of course, as always, there is a twist involved! Bright orange segments, peppery arugula, crunchy peanuts and a spicy ginger dressing adorn this refreshing salad.
Serve this salad alongside grilled salmon, roasted chicken or baked pork tenderloin for a flavorful and healthy dinner. This Cucumber Orange Salad is easy to prepare, healthy and a wonderful treat for your taste buds.
What you need to make this Salad
Arugula (or use your favorite greens)
Cucumber (I used an English cucumber. No need to peel the skin or remove the seeds. If you use a regular cucumber, peel the skin and remove the seeds.)
Orange segmented (sub with canned mandarin oranges for the salad + orange juice for the dressing)
Ginger in brine-affiliate link (or fresh ginger root or ground ginger)
Mirin-affiliate link (sub with 1 part rice vinegar + 1 part sugar, allow sugar to dissolve)
Red Wine Vinegar (sub with white vinegar or white balsamic. I don't recommend using a dark balsamic vinegar.)
Miso Paste (I used white miso but any miso paste should work)
How to segment an Orange:
Remove the skin
# 1 + 2 - Remove the top and bottom of the orange peel.
# 3 + 4 - Starting from the top orange, use the knife to cut away the skin and pith (white part) of the orange. Gently press the knife into the skin of the orange while you follow the flesh of the orange and slice down.
Make the Segments
# 5 - Following the segmented lines of the orange, gently slice through the flesh one side, stopping at the center.
# 6 - Repeat on the other side of the orange segment.
# 7 - The segmented orange slice should easily release.
# 8 - Repeat with the rest of the orange. Save the middle section and juice for the dressing.
How to store this salad:
This salad is best stored without being mixed with the dressing. If you are going to make this, and store it overnight, leave the dressing, sesame seeds and peanuts on the side until serving. You could make this salad up to 1 day in advance if needed, but it's best made fresh.
Cucumber Orange Salad with Miso-Ginger Dressing
For the salad:
- 2 Cups Arugula
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 Orange
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Peanuts
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon Ginger in Brine see notes
- 2 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice Use juice leftover from the orange slices
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Miso
Make the salad:
- Wash produce and slice cucumbers into half moons.
- Peel the orange with a knife and slice the orange into segments.
- Combine arugula, cucumber and orange segments in a medium bowl.
- In a food processor or blender combine: ginger, mirin, vinegar, orange juice (leftover from the orange segments) and miso paste. Blend until smooth.
- Add dressing to the salad and toss to combine well.
- Top with sesame seeds and chopped peanuts. Serve with love and enjoy!
Leave a Reply