This Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup has been in my belly all week. It's such a great lunch this time of year when it's cold and rainy outside. This soup is earthy and creamy and I love how the subtle pumpkin spice really screams Fall in this soup!
Give yourself an hour to cook this soup and you'll have lunch for the whole week! Well, unless you have to share..
This soup is:
Sprinkled with Savory Warming Spice Flavors
Here's what you need to make this Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup:
Mushrooms - you can use white (aka button) mushrooms, or cremini (aka baby bella) mushrooms for this recipe. They are all the same mushroom, just different ages and sizes.
Canned Coconut Milk
Spices - Thyme, sage, pumkin pie spice, nutmeg, salt and pepper
Tips for Cleaning the Mushrooms
You will want to wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Don't rinse them with water. Mushrooms tend to act a bit like a sponge. It's very hard to get mushrooms dry after they get wet, which prevents mushrooms from browning when you sear them. Searing the mushrooms is important for this recipe because it deepens the mushroom flavor.
Brown the Mushrooms
To get the best mushroom flavor, you want to sear the mushrooms to a golden brown before adding any liquid. After cooking the onions, add the mushrooms but don't add any more salt at this point. Let the mushrooms brown on one side before stirring. Stir occasionally, not so much so that the mushrooms can't get that nice golden brown color, but just enough that the onions don't burn. If needed, you can add more oil before adding the mushrooms to help them sear.
Adjust the Seasoning as Needed.
Always be tasting your soup as you cook. If it needs more salt, add more salt. If it's too salty, add more maple syrup and maybe a little thyme. Play with the recipe a little bit and make it your own. 🙂
Improve the Soup's Flavor by Making a Day in Advance.
This is one of the greatest tips of all time: give your soup some time for the flavors to meld together. This is so easy to do. All you have to do is make the soup the day or night before you serve! Then, just reheat right before serving.
Topping Ideas for this Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup:
Bacon (if not vegan or vegetarian)
Parmesan Cheese (if not vegan..or use vegan parmesan) 🙂
Here are some other great soups to keep you warm when the weather is cold:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Again, I hope to see you at the next post! 🙂
Creamy Mushroom Soup (Vegan)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Pound Button Mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Herbs + Spices:
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ Tsp Ground Sage
- 1 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg fresh grated is best
- 2 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- Chop onion. Over medium heat, in a heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil and add onions and ½ tsp salt. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.1 medium - Onion1 tbsp - Olive oil½ tsp - salt
- While the onions are cooking clean the mushrooms with a damp towel to wipe off any dirt. Slice mushrooms ⅛" thick. Add to onions. Cook until softened and brown, stirring occasionally, about 7-10 minutes.1 pound - Mushrooms
- Stir in bay leaves, thyme, sage and maple syrup and salt. Cook another 2 minutes.2- Bay Leaves1 tbsp - Thyme¼ tsp - Ground Sage1 Tbsp - Maple Syrup½ tsp - Salt
- Deglaze the pan with orange juice, be sure to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in vegetable stock, turn up the heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 minutes. ¼ cup - Orange Juice4 cups - Vegetable Stock/Broth
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup mixture until the mushrooms are mostly pureed. Leave a little chunky if desired.Special Equipment - Immersion Blender
- Add the coconut milk, simmer for 20 - 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.1 can - Coconut MilkSalt and Pepper as needed.
- This soup may be made a day or two in advance (it actually gets better) and kept in the fridge. Just reheat before serving.
- Serve with a little love and enjoy!
Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or recipe requests! I would love to hear from you!