Thank you so much for checking out my new Blog! This is my first food blog post ever. I'm sharing my recipe for my least favorite vegetable turned new favorite vegetable because this recipe is the reason I started to write down and share the food I love to cook.
Have you always been turned off by broccoli?
This broccoli is the best ever! I'm very excited to share this recipe with you. If you're anything like me, I grew up hating me some broccoli. In fact, when I was young, I thought that vegetables just came frozen in bags from the supermarket. Boy, was I sheltered!
My dear sweet mother was not the greatest of cooks growing up. When she would say we were having broccoli for dinner, that meant we were having steamed broccoli mush. No salt, no seasonings of any kind, just mush. No offense, Mom--it was disgusting.
It's no wonder I have been turned off by broccoli pretty much my whole life---until now.
A sudden craving for broccoli woke me up! ..and maybe it will help you!
It was strange--one morning I woke up and was craving broccoli? Roasted broccoli none the less, something I had never even tried. I didn't know what had come over me. Quickly, I rushed to the store to pick up some broccoli. Grabbed a lemon thinking it would be a great punch of acid to finish the dish. I knew I had parmesan at home (because I always do).
Why roast the broccoli?
Roasting broccoli will create a crispy side dish AND add a nutty flavor that traditional steamed broccoli does not have.
Why the Lemon and Parmesan?
Adding lemon to the broccoli adds some acid and zip, brightening up the earthy, natural flavor of the broccoli...so lemon is the perfect compliment to broccoli..even if you love it steamed.
Parmesan Cheese does 2 things: adds a nutty flavor, and creates crispy textures. There is nothing like crispy baked parmesan, and adding it to a roasted broccoli recipe, elevates the flavor like you wouldn't believe.
Choose your salt wisely.
A good quality flake sea salt such as Maldon will add tremendous flavor and even more texture. Texture is such an important part of this dish!
All my best,
Best Ever Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan
- 1 pound Broccoli trimmed
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- Pinch Sea Salt Malon or Jacobson is good here
- few grinds Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash and dry broccoli well. (Dry broccoli = crispy broccoli). Trim broccoli tops off of stems and cut into equal pieces.
- On a sheet pan, add broccoli heads, drizzle with olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Spread broccoli mixture evenly over the whole pan leaving room between each piece. (This will allow for a crispy crust)
- Roast on top rack of oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven and toss well. Redistribute evenly back on sheet pan and grate the parmesan cheese on top of the broccoli.
- Place the broccoli back in the oven and roast for another 10 minutes
- Remove and drizzle with fresh lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.