This light, tangy and full-flavored Arugula Chimichurri is super versatile! Use this compliant whole30 sauce to add extra flavor to grilled meats, smashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, cauliflower rice or top this lovey green stuff on some fried eggs! Add to Whole30 Mayo for a zesty aioli!
I love herbs.
I love a good sauce.
This one is packed full of herbs, veggies, nuts and healthy oil. Put this on everything....
I've made many versions of this chimichurri over the years but this one might be my favorite. I was inspired to create some great whole30 sauces that are versatile, easy to make and easy to freeze. You can easily make a batch of this chimichurri and freeze it for up to 6 months. Just thaw before use and refreeze if needed!
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a popular condiment used in Argentina. Traditionally, a raw sauce and table condiment made of spices, oil and herbs, to accompany grilled and roasted meats. Its versatility lends itself to fish, potatoes, veggies and even makes a great salad dressing.
Roughly chop the ingredients and add to a food processor. Leave out the olive oil and vinegar here.
Blend until roughly chunky.
Add oil and vinegar and blend until a rough paste forms. Thats all!
Nut Allergy: Substitute the almonds with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Herbs: Use any herbs you want! Get creative here...it's your food and your sauce!
Herbs to consider: Parsley, cilantro, thyme, dill, basil, mint, tarragon.
Great Herb Combos:
Cilantro + mint
Parsley + basil
Tarragon + thyme + Dill
What's your favorite combination?
How to Serve
Use this as a marinade for chicken, fish or veggies. Then grill or roast away!
Use as a sauce on Flat Iron Steak or Roasted Chicken.
Spoon it on top of a burger.
Mix with mayonnaise to make a chimichurri aioli!
Storage + Shelf Life
Cover an store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months. Defrost before use.
Recipe: Arugula Chimichurri
- 1 Cup Arugula fresh
- 1 Cup Spinach fresh
- ⅓ Cup Almonds
- ½ Cup Basil fresh, or herb of choice
- ¼ Cup Chives fresh, chopped, or herb of choice
- ¼ Cup Green Onion fresh, chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ - ¾ Cup Olive Oil to taste or desired consistency
- Add all ingredients except vinegar and oil to food processor. Pulse a few times until combined and chunky. Scape down the sides as needed to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add red wine vinegar and ½ cup extra virgin olive oil and blend until a chunky, thin paste forms. Scrape down the sides as needed. Add more olive oil if you want a thinner consistency. *See photo above for guidelines if needed.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost before use.
I followed this recipe exactly. It is such a colorful fresh tasty sauce! I put it over grilled chicken and flank steak. Every bite was eaten! My family loved it!
Thank you for the wonderful comment Aldona! I'm so glad you and your family loved it! 🙂
I loved this sauce! Bright, tangy, garlicy goodness. Will be putting on everything. Added it to a pasta dish and also for dipping pita. Yum!
I'm so glad you loved it! Thank you for the wonderful rating. 🙂